- Log in to your online account through SecureAccess Washington and complete a retirement application.
- Select to have your credential retire immediately or at the end of your renewal cycle.
If you retire, you are:
- Prohibited from using the title CPA or CPA-Inactive or exercising the privileges related to those titles.
- The board authorizes the use of the designation "CPA retired" in this state by those individuals who, upon notice to the board to retire a license, meet the following criteria per WAC 4-30-058:
- Has reached sixty years of age and holds an active license in good standing; or
- At any age, has held an active license in good standing, not suspended or revoked, to practice public accounting in any state for a combined period of not less than twenty years.
- If you are eligible and would like to use the CPA-retired designation, please notify the Board at firstname.lastname@example.org
Reactivate Your Retired Status
To reactivate your retired credential you must:
- Complete the required Continuing Professional Education (CPE)
- CPA license:
- Must complete a total of 120 CPE hours, including four CPE credit hours of Board Approved Washington State Ethics. The total 120 CPE hour requirement is limited to no more than 24 CPE credit hours in nontechnical subject areas within the thirty-six-month period immediately preceding the date an application is submitted to the board; however, the Washington State Ethics course must be completed within the six-month period immediately preceding the date your application and the CPE documentation is submitted to the board.
- CPA-Inactive Certificate:
- Must be completed within the six-month period immediately preceding the date your application and the CPE documentation is submitted to the board.
- CPA license:
- Submit a complete application through our Online Services.
- Pay reactivation fee of $230.
- Attach all CPE documentation in the “Pending Reason(s)” section of the “Confirmation” page.
Upon approval of this application your status will be posted to the Licensee Search.
CPE credit hours utilized to qualify for this reactivation may not be utilized for your next CPE reporting period. Please refer to Board rule WAC 4-30-122(3).
Unable to use online services?
You may request a paper copy of our forms by contacting us directly.